Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Highway To Hell...... The Yellow Route!

October 28, 2008 - Tuesday 
OK...... so here is my report!
 When I found out that there was a AC/DC sponsored contest called "The AC/DC Caravan" that was going to give tickets to 10 cars per route I thought "I need to be there!"
 I didn't know if I was going to be able to go to the "Final Dress Rehearsal" of AC/DC in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania on November 26th for 2 reasons.......
(1) getting the time off from work
(2) money

 I was thinking out loud at work as I was sure I could not get the time off as my supervisor was off last week for a much needed vacation but the next person in charge Eli said he had the authority to give me the time off so the next thing was to do was to see if I could get me a "crew" together to take the trip. My old friend Dave was up for the challenge as he was off his job for a few months with a back injury and finally got the OK to return to work and wanted to give his back a test. So once the details was announced I had to make up to the meeting place to pick up the directions from the "Yellow Route" leader of the Knoxville Caravan (Vickie Courtney)  from the Turkey Creek WalMart at 9am on Friday November 24th so I asked Eli if I could take my lunch "early" to be able to do it as it was mandatory part of the process, which was being documented. There ended up being about a dozen people there and of course it was running a little late but I got my directions and finished out the rest of the work day. At 4pm I clocked out and took care of a couple of things before I left town. Once I hit the road it started raining around Lake City and after I stopped at Dave's and loaded my stuff up in his PT Cruiser we got back on the road and drove for the next few hours in driving rain and stopped in Elkview West Virginia and got a room. We woke up about 7am and got ready for the last 5 hours of our trip and of course.... the rain was stiil our constant companion.
 When we got up to Wilkes-Barre we had a few wrong turns due to our directions from Google maps that was with our waiver but we did find the pavilion. We had two spots on our "caravan" but the people in charge was not going to give us the tickets & passes without a body present to take them so I could not get Arthur due to time limitations but he did get us a great room @ The Residence Inn a few miles away. After picking up our tickets & laminates me & Dave checked in and took a nap before the "party" that was for the various caravans being held at Charlie's, a Wilkes-Barre sports bar. They had the live AC/DC tribute band "Live Wire" playing in one room and AC/DC karaoke in the main room. It was great hanging out with the other AC/DC fans that came as far away as Portland (Oregon & Maine!) and some Canadians made the trip too from the NYC caravan. I had a few Newcastles ($3.00!!!) and was very sociable and it was a great party..... until we found out later that some of the people was ripped off by (I'm assuming) some piece of shit who preyed on the out of towners and knew the venue. This would be the only low point of the trip.
 After a good night of sleep I was pleasantly surprised to wake up to sunshine & clear skies which was much needed as the rain was bringing everybody down. We was told by the film crew that had been documenting the previous day to show up at the Wachovia Arena parking lot for a "tailgate" party and we spent the better part of the afternoon meeting new friends we have met the night before and making more as the day went on. I mooched a few beers from people who had them and I was in the right condition when the camera came my way so I gave my "Testimony" of the first time I seen AC/DC (with UFO & The Motors) and was on a roll! Saul (the director) told me it would be in the dvd! After a while Saul had started a few contests where the winners would get dvds and other AC/DC swag and the losers would get cold beer! They had the egg race & the sack race but I just watched as I was buzzed by now. It wouldn't be long until they let us line up and wait what seemed like an eternity to enter the arena. Once they opened the doors I headed straight to the merch stand and got an "event" shirt with the dates of the rehearsal & the first show on the back. I went in and took my seat. Here is the setlist they played....

01 Cartoon Intro
02 Rock N' Roll Train
03 Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
04 Back In Black
05 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
06 Thunderstruck
07 Hells Bells
08 You Shook Me All Night Long
09 T.N.T.
10 Black Ice
11 Whole Lotta Rosie
12 Let There Be Rock
Encore
13 Highway To Hell
14 For Those About To Rock We Salute You

It was only about 70 minutes long but what do you expect for nothing? Plus it was the first live performances of "Rock N' Roll Train" and "Black Ice" and the stage props & pryo was top notch! The show was over around 9:30 and me & Dave hit the road. He drove until we got to Scotland, Maryland and got a room at Sleep Inn. After waking up we cross the interstate for breakfast @ McDonalds. I just wanted 2 sausage & biscuits and hashbrowns and the woman wanted over $8 for it! I rarely go off in public but I was not going to pay that much money for something that should have only been 3 or 4 dollars! I guess there was a "biscuit embargo" in that part of the country.
 I had to drive the PT Cruiser when Dave stopped in Richmond to pick up his truck. I made it up to his house about 5 minutes before he did and chilled for a few minutes before I headed home. I finally was at my home base around 9pm...... but I'm finishing this at Bruce's house as my internet has a "soft disconnect" until I pay Comcast in a day or two. I'm going to post this on myspace and other sites where I blog.

Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment