Friday, November 12, 2010

My latest obsession......

I have been driven to digitize my old analog bootleg recordings to digital to share over the Internet via bit torrent. Part of it has been from the positive reception that was given to The Dan Lampinski Collection that was recently uploaded over at dimeadozen from a chance meeting of a couple of Boston Yes fans. Not only was the recordings some of the best of the day but it introduced a lot of vintage Rock and Roll to a fan base that was not even born at the time they was made!
 But a bonus for me is to listen to recordings I have not listened to for years (and in some cases decades!) and being able to distribute them as I see fit! I used to be big into the tape trading but after a while it got to be a hassle with dealing with unreliable traders (plus it was very costly & time consuming too!)...... and I was getting pissed off when some of my recordings would be misrepresented or even worst the quality would drop considerably from generation to generation. I also felt like I was letting people down sometimes if I couldn't made a trade because they had nothing I wanted or they wanted too much from me than I was willing to give.
 But with torrent sites like dimeadozen or The Trader's Den it is now a no-brainer as I am in total control of ever step of the process! I can remove glitches, split the tracks perfectly, adjust the balance and increase the levels without unwanted distortion or clipping.

It also gives me something to do while I surf the web.....

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love torrent files, and what you are doing Jerry, is one of the greatest things those who have such original bootlegs, is to share them.
    I wished more people would thank the o.p.'s, and not just grab a torrent they like and say nothing.

    ReplyDelete