Tuesday, November 9, 2010

If you tape and don't share it.... does it even exist?

As I see people I love & musicians I admire leave this world for the next one I can't help to feel that I would have wasted a good chunk of my life if I did not let my recordings be heard. No..... I'm in great health! But I spend a great part of my life following around different bands and recorded most of them over the years and don't want to wait until I'm dead and burden my family with the issues of what to do with them. So I've put it on myself to keep myself busy while online converting my masters to digital form to share over the internet. I may not be able to make my mark in the world but I know I have already made a lot of people I don't even know happy with what I have shared so far.

And isn't that what life is all about?

From a recent upload I made on DIME I ponder "What if?"......


In The Spirit of The Lampinski Tape Series..... I am in the process of sharing a bulk of my old analog recordings that has not been shared on a worldwide basis as "it is time" for them to be heard! After years of getting tired of dealing with the hassles of trading and with the ability to now correct master recording issues as uneven balances, low recording levels and unwanted unwanted noise I am more eager to share them. Anybody who has had the privilege to see my live tape list (or the master tapes themselves!) knows this will be a long process as I literally have too many masters to list! Not bragging but it is just a fact. So please be kind and not fill up my message box up with requests as I will be picking out shows at my own discretion. Without the help of "The Internet" and the lack of cell phones the only way to find out about many shows was with diligent research, lots of phone calls & word of mouth! I have no life (outside my taping obsession) so I expect to keep busy when I am not out on the road. Unlike The Lampinski Series my early recordings is very heavy with the "Metal" genre so I will make a lot of headbangers happy!

On my birthday back in 1989 I went to Fort Wayne to see Great White, Tesla & Badlands play the The Expo Center (a new addition to The War Memorial Auditorium which is a big echo box IMHO!)and was really pleased with how awesome the show had sounded!

While reading comments from the final Lampinski upload of the '77 Yes show one post stood out...

#4357522 by hitwitstuff2 at 2010-11-06 22:39:41 GMT Big thanks for sharing these treasures.  Really, its about the sharing that should be the reward of these efforts.I met a guy about twenty years ago in Ventura, California.  I was at a party and a mutual friend introduced us due to our mutual love of live music and the NY scene.  This guy lived in the same building that the party was in so we went over to his place where showed me a closet of dozens of organized betamax, VHS  and cassette tapes that were all from CBGB's where he worked in the 70's and 80's.  Multiple Talking Heads, Ramones, Dead Boys, Blondie and Television tapes with various mid-70's dates on them caught my eye.  He showed me bits from the videos that all looked like first generation Black and White in-house recordings.  He said the cassettes were from a soundboard patch that only he had access to, but he wouldn't copy a thing.  "There not special if everyone has them" was what he told me.  This guy died a couple of years later. Drug overdose I was told. What became of the collection? Nobody knew; believe me I asked.  Maybe they're in his family's garage somewhere waiting to be discoverd?  Maybe they were tossed into a dumpster by the landlord who was clearing out the place for the next tenant.  What I am sure of is that he didn't take them with him.  Had I been able to get a copy of any of those I would have not only insured that they would still exist as vital documents of sets long gone, but I would have kept his name attached to them.  Long live "The Dan Lampinski Tapes!"  Once again, thank you and be proud of your legacy.

And that made me think of a taper who I did not know but was friends with some of the tapers I have met over the years.... and what could have been. This person was Matthew James Pickett also known by his friends as "Matty" who happened to have the bad luck to be in attendance at The Station in West Warwick, Rhode Island and was one of the souls who perished in that awful fire. My friend Arthur/arcme262 knew him through trading and was helpful to getting him started taping shows. another friend of mine, Simeon Morrell was helpful if helping me with giving me information to help me dedicate this night of music in memory  of Matt Pickett & his love of preserving the sound for all to enjoy.

Some words from Simeon....

Matt was an avid taper of a wide variety of bands. In 1994 he took a roadtrip from Boston, MA to San Antonio, TX to see one band...UFO. I still have the last email he ever sent me just hours before the Great White show, and the subject was advice to a fellow taper on how to get a good tape at a Savoy Brown show. He was extremely generous and more importantly just an all around nice guy. He perished in one of the most horrendous ways, but he died doing what he loved, taping live shows. I saw two shows at the Station in Warwick with Matt, and raise a toast to is memory often.

That e-mail is as follows.....

The bands website ok to tape now. NO video.For years, they were sticklers.Take a look at www.savoybrown.com

KIM Simmonds does not want video, but ok with audio.

I had issues at one show years ago, but it all worked out.

My attitude is stealth to keep curiousity down, but the band ok with it.

----Original Message Follows----From: Sim <kissfan@nycap.rr.com>To: Matty Pickett <mattysmf@hotmail.com>Subject: DIDNT YOU DO THEM (AND HAVE A PROBLEM)?Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:54:41 -0500

From: augwest <augwest@augwest.net>Subject: Savoy BrownDate: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:26:34 -0600

Hola!Anyone know if there is a taping "policy"for Savoy Brown? Yea or Nay?Thanks,Jeff

Then I got this from Simeon

Jerry,this was the email his fiancee sent to all his friends that weekend...

 I had enough strength to get on Matt's computer and email all of you, I know that all of you were so close to him, he loved you all! Matt did not make it out of the fire on Thursday, I need to let all of you know because he had so many friends, some I didn't even know. He was and is in all of our hearts, he is in our prayers and he is loved by all! My fiance was a spectacular human being, I know that he would want us all to remember all of the fun and good times that we had with him. He would want us to remember the laughter, the joy, the concerts, the music. This was his passion and he died enjoying doing what he did best! God, I can't believe that I am clear minded enough to write this, I do believe that Matty is guiding my hands as I write this. So he lives within me and he lives within all of us. He wants all of you to know that you were special to him and he carried all of you in his hearts. At this time we have not yet found his remains, as they are still searching. When the time comes that we find his remains, there will be a funeral service in Needham, I am not sure of the name of the Cemetary, but it is right off of Central Ave. I don't know what else to say, I knew that I needed to be calm and write this to all of you who knew him and knew him well. Don't ask how I wrote this, but Matty is here now with me and he is giving me the strength.

I love you all just like Matty did!

Love, Wendy Weinberg (His one true love and his lifetime companion)

From Boston.com "Memorial Page for the victims....

Matthew James Pickett

Bellingham

   
Matthew Pickett's passion for music was legendary. In a single year, the avid heavy metal fan attended more concerts than most people would in a lifetime. He cultivated another generation of music lovers in his family by taking nephews and nieces to their first rock concerts. Pickett, 33, often set up recording equipment to capture a show, as he did before the Great White concert last Thursday.

"Matt collected concert recordings from shows all around the world and could probably tell you all of the songs a band would play at a concert before the band had a chance to perform them," Ben Moebes, a longtime friend, said of Matty, as Pickett was known to his wide circle of friends.

Moebes fondly remembered a summer that he and Pickett spent playing around Echo Bridge in Newton Upper Falls, which became a special place for Pickett. It was there that he proposed to his fiancee, Wendy Weinberg, last year. The two had recently bought a home and were to be married in October. Members of Pickett's close-knit family spoke of his love for Weinberg and also how they treasured his warmth and sense of humor. The baby of the family was described as "the consummate family man," who was always there to offer love and support.

"All my brothers looked out for me and loved me with all their hearts, but Matthew kept a special eye on me," said Dorothy Pickett, his only sister.

Pickett grew up in Newton and graduated from Newton South High School before going on to the University of Massachusetts-Boston. In addition to his love for music and sports, Pickett was well-traveled and spoke French and Spanish.

"I'll continue to live my life but from here on out I'll do it a little better, think a little harder, take one more step further and love with all of my heart," said Dorothy Pickett. "That's what Matthew would do."

RHONDA STEWART

http://www.boston.com/news/packages/nightclub_fire/victims/mpickett.htm

Matthew J. Pickett, 33; music 'made his heart soar'

It took three years for Matt Pickett to ask Wendy Weinberg on a date and another three to propose marriage, but he was worth the wait, she says.

"He was my soul mate. He was the most fantastic person I have ever known in my entire life."

The two met seven years ago at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, and had been dating for three years when they found a split-level house in Bellingham, Mass. Wendy said she didn't want to close the deal on the house until they were at least engaged.

He proposed last June 30, her 30th birthday, on the Echo Bridge over the Charles River in Newton, where they grew up. They closed on the Bellingham house the next day.

Wendy said her fiancé collected everything -- newspapers, tapes, CDs, records -- which he shared with his hundreds, if not thousands, of friends all over the world. "He had not one enemy, ever," she says.

He went to The Station with his friend Joe Cristina, who survived the fire but suffered second-degree burns, Wendy said. Matt loved music; it "made his heart soar," she says. Matt was a giver, she said, who would drop everything to help a friend.

"He gave so much of himself, even if he had nothing."

Wendy said her fiancé had just celebrated his seventh year of sobriety.

"He and I were each other's support systems. He gave me hope, he gave me strength, he told me about life."

Most of all, she said, "He was my best friend. My very best friend."

She already had her dress for their wedding. It was to be held Oct. 19.

-- Katherine Boas

http://www.projo.com/cgi-bin/include.pl/extra/2003/stationfire/profiles/pickett.htm

If anybody has any of Matty's recordings to share please do as I never had the pleasure to hear his work.


Enjoy!

Great White 1989-09-24 Expo Center Ft Wayne INSony D-3 Pro Walkman > Realistic 33-1065 Electret Stereo Microphone > Maxell XLII-S 90 > Onkyo TA-RW313 > Sony STR-DE945 > PC > Wavepad > Trader's Little Helper > FLACTaped by Jerry B. aka "The Govner"

Please share in the original format it was uploaded in!!

01 Move It
02 Heart The Hunter
03 Mista Bone
04 All Over Now
05 Mistreater
06 Face The Day
07 Lady Red Light
08 Save Your Love
09 Once Bitten Twice Shy (Tape Flip)
10 Once Bitten Twice Shy Part II
11 Rock Me
Total time 61:57

R.I.P. Matthew James "Matty" Pickett
R.I.P. Matthew James "Matty" Pickett

1 comment:

  1. Matthew Pickett was my late fiance. I wanted to say thank you for this tribute as it means a lot to me. And thank you for posting my email that I sent out as I had lost it over time. Here is the tribute article I wrote for the 10 year anniversary of the fire. http://readyfortheshift.com/2013/02/20/honoring-the-10-year-anniversary-of-the-station-nightclub-fire-in-west-warwick-rhode-island/

    Sincerely,

    Wendy Zangari (Weinberg)

    ReplyDelete